Friday, January 3, 2014

My Rare Find of the day signed & Dated 1891 London, Ontario Antique Crock at Strathroy Antique Mall

   We are just starting the new year and everything has been running smooth and great. I'm going to be blogging with my finds and antiques for sale at the Strathroy Antique Mall. To add to the beginning of the new year I will be adding a lidded crock to my own personal collection and I'm pretty happy. For yous out there that are always treasure hunting you can understand the happiness and satisfaction that comes with a find. The crock I found accidentally while video taping and taking pictures in booths for the vendors to sell online when I found this brown antique crock. 
   It was a small crock rather insignificant sitting on the shelf among all this wonderful signed older cobalt blue flowered and scrolled antique crocks which i was snapping pictures for. It was solid brown with a lid and wire closure. Nothing more than that. 
     After i finished the other pictures and sold one i just posted online under 24 hours i noticed a price tag of $75.00 on that small brown glazed crock which struck my interest.  Why? That was enough money for a small lidded crock i though someone would really have to like it to pay that.      It was nice it definitely caught my eye with the matching lid and metal closure top and glossy brown glaze but $75.00 seemed too much to me unless I knew more about  it. I noticed the vendor went further to say it was from London, Ontario Glass Boss. I wondered how they would know first off it was from London, Ontario? and second from the "Glass Boss & Co" ?  So I decided I would have to look into that.
      I never believe what dealers write unless i know for sure. For all I know they could have bought it at an estate sale and been told where it was from and wrote it. I need to know when Im buying items the history from my book of studies.
   I started photographing the crock from all angles and examining to see if there was something I was missing and to add online for sale. When i flipped it over to take a picture of the base all my questions were answered.  It was marked. Can you imagine what a find. Not only was it marked it was dated in script writing in the pottery base
"Glass Boss & Co
London, Ont
Pat'd July 1891"
What a find. This is going straight into my collection. There is many more finds at Strathroy Antique Mall. I work here and I hear all the time the joy from the customers with the items they have found. It is an interesting fun job. Happy treasure hunting.......
I have included a few pictures of my finds.



No comments:

Post a Comment